Times are tough! Time after time surveys show that couples fight most often about money and sex. Money experts say that financial success does not depend on how much you make, but on what you do with what you make. Here are seven suggestions for keeping romance alive while surviving the money crisis.
- Develop an attitude of thrift. Pennies, nickles, and dimes make dollars. The wise money manager thinks in terms of nickles, dimes, and quarters.
- Make do with what you have. Sell what you don’t need, buy what you need at garage sales or thrift stores. Use old fashioned cleaners–soda and ammonia.
- Smart shopping makes cents. Take advantage of seasonal sales. Never go shopping without a list. Shop intentionally, not impulsively.
- Give gifts of time and talent.
- Barter goods and services. Find friends with whom you can trade.
- Scuttle bills with skills. Use each partner’s skills as often as possible to eliminate the necessity of spending money for labor..
- Avoid money pitfalls. Pitfals include impulse spending, excessive credit buying, and depending too much on a second income..
Talking, brainstorming and working on these skills together can make you feel closer to each other. And remember, sex is free so enjoy it with each other often.